Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Water for Elephants

Greg and I just happened to be at the movies one Friday night and we saw the trailer for Water for Elephants and I noticed that it was based on the novel. For some reason I love to watch movies that are made after books. However, if I see the movie, I insist on reading the book beforehand. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen was one that I knew I was going to have to read just because the trailer alone looked awesome. Turns out the book wasn't half bad either. It's based in the 1920's and it follows the lives of those working on the traveling circus, The Benzini Brothers, the Most Spectacular Show on Earth. The story and detail about the lives of people who live on a train for months at a time was fascinating. The book itself bounces back and forth from the circus life to Jacob, our lead, who is now in a rest home reliving the good ol' days of the circus life. I enjoyed the story and miss the circus now that the book is over. So want to see Ringling now! While the story itself was good, just a word of warning, the book contains some graphic language and some rather risqué moments depicting rough circus life. Now that you're aware, it made for a great read and I love the idea of the story being fiction but non-fiction at the same time as it has basis on real life circus events. Enjoy!
♥B

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog Britt. I can't wait to read this and many more!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...